Minister's Announcement: Regarding Bill 1 - An Act to Reduce School Fees
On March 2, 2017 Minister Eggen announced the Alberta Government’s plan to move forward with Bill One which is aimed at reducing school fees. This will impact Wolf Creek Public Schools in terms of our current fee structure heading into the 2017-2018 school year.
At this point we are awaiting many details regarding both the new funding and regulations designed to clearly outline what our school district can charge parents a fee on in relation to educational programming.
In the coming days and weeks we anticipate additional details and opportunities to discuss and collaborate with our school district to ensure we have a strong understanding of these changes and possible impacts on our schools.
We are able to share the following details regarding Bill One:
- Bill One, once proclaimed, will eliminate a School Jurisdiction’s ability to charge these fees:
- Instructional Supplies / Materials Fees
- Bussing Fees for certain students
- Amendments will be made to the School Act to reflect this new legislation.
- Regulations will be developed in advance of the 2017-2018 school year and will provide clarity to address fees associated with texts, paper, photocopies, instructional materials.
- Bus Fees will not be charged for any student who lives in excess of 2.4 km from their designated school.
- Funding details will be outlined in the upcoming Provincial budget.
- Government has two key expectations moving forward:
- Jurisdictions will maintain or increase current level of programming.
- Jurisdictions will maintain or decrease fees in other areas
- The Minister of Education has supplied parents and guardians with a letter regarding this announcement of Bill 1: An Act to Reduce School Fees; which has been posted on all Wolf Creek Public Schools websites throughout the Division. To view letter click this link.
This announcement represents a positive step in supporting the financial challenges Wolf Creek faces in maintaining educational programming across our district. Decreasing the financial burden on our parents is great news and will allow a new opportunity to ensure all current fees are reviewed while ensuring we maintain strong educational programming and opportunities for all Wolf Creek students.